Back up my WordPress site using the UpdraftPlus plugin
Note: Websites hosted on Managed WordPress accounts have automated and manual backup options integrated within the hosting setup. So, if you have a WordPress Hosting plan, there's no need to follow the steps listed below. You can back up and restore your site directly from your Managed WordPress hosting account.
Having a recent backup of your WordPress site can save your data if something goes wrong. Generally, creating a website backup requires some manual work and technical knowledge, but for WordPress, you can use the free UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup plugin to create a copy of your site with just a few clicks.
- Log in to WordPress.
- In the left-hand menu, select Plugins > Add New.
- Search for "UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup".
- Select Install Now.
- Select Activate.
- In the left-hand menu, select Settings > UpdraftPlus Backups.
- In the Backup/Restore tab, select Backup Now.
- In the pop-up window, leave the default selections as they are and select Backup now. The time necessary for the backup to complete depends on your website's size and server's speed.
Note: The UpdraftPlus Backups plugin offers many additional options, including automated backups. To schedule automated backups, select Settings > UpdraftPlus Backups from the left-hand side menu and then the Settings tab. If you want to explore this plugin further, you can visit the plugin's page on WordPress.org.
- After the backup is complete, you will have an option to download or restore the site directly from your WordPress admin dashboard, from the Backup/Restore tab.
- If you are not able to access your WordPress admin dashboard, you can access your backups on the website's server in the /wp-content/updraft folder.